Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Spring Chevron Layout HSS115 {how to make Chevron}

Pin It Now!
This week at Hand Stamped Sentiments, it's all about SPRING!  Anything goes, with all the wonders of Spring as your springboard.  

When I think Spring, I think Love...and when I think Love, I think hubby...and Chevron....do you see where I'm going with this?!
This 12 x 12 layout features a handmade and zigzag stitched chevron background made from Attic Boutique DSP, and is embellished with Attic Boutique Side Notes.

Here's the Hand Stamped Sentiments #115 challenge inspiration...please play along!  Who couldn't use a little Spring in their day this week?

 Here are some of the details and tips....
 The little rosette was made with a scrap of White Waffle Paper spritzed with Blushing Bride Smooch Spritz that was laying on my desk.  Add a little second rosette of Pool Party Seam Binding Ribbon and an Antique Brad.  Then a bunch of ribbon strips at the bottom to finish it off.
 The Chevron background is wrapped three times in Linen Thread, then I added a bow under my bouquet and a Trinket Heart lock to give it a 3D effect.

I matted the photo on Pool Party DSP and then onto ivory muslin, and frayed the edges.
 Want to make some Chevron??  Here are the basics!

Cut a bunch of strips like so, in different but complementary patterns.





Hold 2 pieces together at a 90 degree angle corner to corner, and snip them on the diagonal.  This will ensure a clean cut look, instead of simply overlapping them, but either is o.k.  Lay them out in rows on a scrap piece of cardstock.




When you like the way it looks, adhere them down. Cut your cardstock backing to size, and you will only see the chevron strips at this point.

Stitch them together, if desired.  I used a zigzag stitch, I like the quilted look it gives.





I created a spattered look by pouring some Frost White Shimmer Paint on a stiff paintbrush and flicking it onto my cardstock.  I have to mess it up just a little!





SUPPLY LIST:
STAMPS:  None
INK: Soft suede, Pool Party
DSP: Attic Boutique
CARDSTOCK: Sahara Sand
ACCESSORIES: Attic Boutique Side Notes, Basic Pearls, Waffle paper, Blushing Bride Smooch Spritz, Frost White Shimmer Paint, Pool Party and Very Vanilla Seam Binding Ribbon, Crochet trim, Antique Brad, Heart Trinket, Linen Thread, Muslin (from craft store)

Have a blessed & creative day! Erika. www.erikaclark.stampinup.net

10 comments:

  1. This is great, thank you...I am going to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH.MY. This layout is incredible! All the details make it a feast for the eyes--I'm not sure what I love the most. Chevron. yep. Random ink splotches (spelling?). yep. Muslin. yep. Rosette. yep. I could keep going...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Bobbie 100% this is a total feast for the eyes. The Shimmer Paint flick technique is so cool and the chevron tutorial is awesome. As I was scrolling down I kept thinking "how did she do that?" and then surprise, a tutorial--thanks. Smiles, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I love this!!! I am definitely case-ing the chevrons. There are so many lovely details on this page. The sewing, that bow, the rosette, the shimmer paint. WOW!! I bet it looks phenomenal in person!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my GOODNESS, can you please come to my house and make my scrapbooks?!! :) AMAZINGbells girl, truly amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great page. Love the embellishments you used.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!!! Just Beautiful!!! So many great textures and accents- Love them all- Perfect!!!
    The color combo is so soft and Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, this is gorgeous! Erika, are you kidding me? So beautiful and detailed. Thank you for showing how you made the chevrons. That is so popular right now. Love everything about this page:) and welcome to HSS. We are so happy to have you on board with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous and that technique is fab-u-lous!!! So soft! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful in person! Just a lovely layout for a once-in-a-lifetime moment! The paint spatter and the chevron look FAB!

    ReplyDelete