Monday, June 3, 2013

Why Do I Resist Flower Stamps With All My Might?

Pin It Now!
Lately I've been feeling a creative slump. I've seen others saying so as well. I think, for me, I've relied on my tried and true ingredients, and they're fine. But it's more than that. I cannot WAIT for the new catalog to go live, so I can pick some new & wonderful artistic supplies to quench my thirst. And, moreover, I'm a little heartbroken that I'm not going to the SU Convention next month. The 25th anniversary one...the one that my stampin' colleagues are eagerly planning for...it's just not “in the cards” for me one more year. It hasn't been an easy time here (in real life) over the past couple years. But I keep pressing on, smile intact, spirit full of gratitute, and sending cards out into the world one at a time, to bring sunshine...a hug...a high five...or flowers!
I'm reinstituting my Clean & Simple Summer cards. Last summer, I decided it's a good idea, especially when the days are long and family is home more, there's gardening to be done, and swimming pools to bask by, that my cards will be bright, clean, and simple. Here's my first one for this summer, using Hand Stamped Sentiments' color challenge: Summer Starfruit, Primrose Petals, Baja Breeze, and Midnight Muse.

I used several simple techniques to keep these bright colors from competing on my card. For the tag, I used the Chevron embossing folder, and Stampin' Write markers in Baja Breeze and Midnight Muse. Using the front inside of the folder, I colored the embossed rows of chevron in alternating colors, and embossed on a piece of scrap white cardstock. Then, I spritzed the folder with with a mix of Shimmer Paint and rubbing alcohol, and ran a new piece of white CS through the Big Shot. This created a “stamped-off” embossed chevron pattern. Let's coin the phrase “Stamped Off Inked Embossing”!
The second technique is emboss resist with sponges. Very simple, and so pretty! Just choose an outline stamp (Fabulous Florets works well here). Heat emboss with white embossing powder. From the center of each flower or leaf, sponge darker in the center and swipe gently toward the edges of the image. Fussy cut each piece and arrange with Stampin' Dimensionals. I love these pretty blossoms :)

To finish, I used Whisper White for the card base and cut it 11” x 4”, folded in half. The tag is placed off center, and the cluster of flowers is arranged so they hang off the edge a little, but will still fit in a standard envelope due to the 4” width. The sentiment is stamped in Crumb Cake, and little pearls are placed here and there. When fully assembled, the entire card was spritzed with the Shimmer Paint spray mixture for one more layer of subtle shine.

Hope you are having a great week, and thanks for allowing me to vent a little! In blogland, things often seem perfect. Real life is an exercise in strength and grace. Here's a quote from Pinterest that I love to use as a reminder.
And take a little time for yourself to stretch your crafty wings with Hand Stamped Sentiments' ColorChallenge. You'll be glad you did :)
Have a blessed and creative day! ~ Erika
SUPPLY LIST:
STAMPS: Fabulous Florets
INK: Summer Starfruit, Primrose Petals, Midnight Muse, Baja Breeze, Certainly Celery, Crumb Cake
PAPER: Whisper White
EMBELLISHMENT: Basic Pearls, Whisper White 5/8” Organza ribbon, Baker's Twine from Pop Up Posies kit, Chevron Embossing Folder, White embossing powder, Versamark ink.











6 comments:

  1. FIRST, I starred at your card for almost an entire day yesterday! I LOVE it!!! SECOND, don't be heart broken about CONV. there will always be another and we can always take a cardboard cut out and give you a "virtual" experience :-) We can bring you in spirit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, this is stunning..uv those flowers!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika,
    Love, love, love your card. Simple but stunning! So many beautiful details. You've inspired me to try the emboss resist. I too wish you could go to convention but as Erin mentioned there's always next time. We'll have you in spirit. When I joined SU in 2009 I didn't go to my first convention until 2012. Luckily Erin and her cousin Shannon sent lots of photos. We'll do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is beautiful!! Sorry things are not wonderful but this to shall pass! You inspire others..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your fabulous card over at Pinterest and just had to pop over to your blog to tell you how much I love it - the pretty colours pop beautifully against the fresh, clean white! A perfect summery card! Love how you coloured the flowers, I must try this myself so thank you for the inspiration Erika!

    Facing real life challenges is never fun - I know that myself right now - wishing you brighter times ahead! : ) Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just saw your card on Pinterest and it's stunning. Hope you are doing well at the time of this post :)

    ReplyDelete