Monday, September 10, 2012

Vintage Book Monogram Wreath {Alphabet Inspired}

Pin It Now! Hello friends!  It's time for another inspiring challenge at Hand Stamped Sentiments!  This week we challenge you to use the alphabet in an unconventional way on a project.  My project has the alphabet on every square inch, large and small!

I made a wreath from an old book - an 1895 copy of The Best of Browning. It was on my shelf and falling apart.  I felt a little guilty, but when I looked up the value, it's only worth about five dollars.  And I definitely got five dollars worth of love out of this book!  I plan to make a bookmark from the spine also.
 It's really pretty big, measuring 18" across.  There are three layers of rolled pages, hot glued to a cardboard circle.
 The centerpiece is also an alpha...this is the Typeset Alphabet Bigz "C" from the new SU catalog - I scanned the 1-1/4" letter and blew it up to about 3" high, printed, and used it as a template to cut this larger letter with a craft knife. The medallion is made of 2" strips of Basic Black CS, punched with the Scallop Trim Border Punch and scored along each scallop with the Simply Scored tool.  The circle and rose are die cuts from the 3-1/2" Circle Originals die.  A heavy smathering of glitter...Champagne Glass Glitter, Black, and Gold. Some of the glitter is retired...who retires glitter?!  This should not happen.
 I take my Alphabet Challenges seriously. You will find all of the letters here :)
 If you don't think you know who Robert Browning was, you probably remember this quote:
So sweet!
I found myself really getting sidetracked by the poetry.  

Won't you give this challenge a try?  
Surprise yourself! I know you have a crafty trick up your sleeve involving alphas in any way!
  
Below are some pics of the making of my wreath...more for my record keeping, but you might find them useful.
 Poor old broken book, meet hot glue gun!
 Rolling from bottom right corner.
 Sealing with glue on opposite corner.
 Dixie plate cardboard template, cover with book pages.
Glue layers of rolled paper, starting with a hole in center of base layer.
Use a 12-3-6-9 O'Clock pattern for good placement.
Make one layer or continue for a fuller look.  
I used 3 layers.
Add anything to center...Christmas ornaments, your name, a flower, a banner.  
Hot glue ribbon or hanger to back.

Thanks for stopping by!  
Have a blessed and creative day!
Erika

6 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Beautiful!!! Great job on using the alphabets!!! Love all the extra sparkle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY COW!!! I am SOOOOOOO making one of these- LOVE it!! Seriously impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those ladies stole my words...WOW! This is fabulous! I love how you upcycled this book, and the sparkle! You have talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang girl, this is awesome!! You did an amazing job! I think I need to make something like this out the old dictionary I have that's collecting dust! Thanks for the instructions, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erika, not sure where to begin...or which post to comment on! This is AMAZING (as are all the others!!) Consider me your latest #1 stalker!!
    Don't feel guilty at all for 'up'cycling this book...I think it's happier now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been looking for instructions on how to make this rolled paper wreath. Now that you've explained it so easily and clearly.....it's not as difficult as I was making it out to be! Thanks for sharing this. It's better to re-use, re-purpose and re-cycle old books than to toss them in the city dump or recycle system.

    ReplyDelete